The Student News Site of Lincoln North Star High School

Gator Galaxy

Gator Galaxy

Gator Galaxy

Josh Goodrich Places in Yearbook Spread Layout
Mateen Younis, Staff • April 26, 2024
Enchanted Night for North Star
Enchanted Night for North Star
Braelyn Marshall, Assistant Editor-in-Chief • April 26, 2024
LNS National Honor Society Raises Money for Al Bock Scholarship
Angela Klipic, Jr. Editor-in-Chief • April 19, 2024

Gators Ready for Spring

Groundhogs Day took place on February 2nd this year. Last Friday Punxsutawney Phil, from Pennsylvania, excited many as he popped out of the ground. In the past, Phil has predicted 107 forecasts of a longer winter and 18 of an early spring. This year the groundhog put smiles on many faces as he envisioned an early spring this year. 

Since 1887, Punxsutawney Phil has predicted the outcome of a longer or earlier spring. The tradition of having a groundhog foresee the weather derives from a Germanic tradition that says if a hibernating animal comes out of its den and sees its shadow, there will be more weeks of winter. In the past “Groundhogs Day” was referred to as “Candlemas” or “Badger Day” because originally badgers were used as predictors instead of groundhogs.

Many students are excited to hear the news of warmer weather coming soon. This sets the perfect scene for incoming spring sports such as Track and Field, Baseball, Soccer, Boys Golf, and Girls Tennis. Our athletes will be able to compete in the comfort of the sun with a good chance of no meets, games, or matches being canceled due to weather.