The Student News Site of Lincoln North Star High School

Gator Galaxy

Gator Galaxy

Gator Galaxy

Josh Goodrich Places in Yearbook Spread Layout
Mateen Younis, Staff • April 26, 2024
Enchanted Night for North Star
Enchanted Night for North Star
Braelyn Marshall, Assistant Editor-in-Chief • April 26, 2024
LNS National Honor Society Raises Money for Al Bock Scholarship
Angela Klipic, Jr. Editor-in-Chief • April 19, 2024

Seniors: On to the Next Chapter

College applications are open and with the FAFSA launch not too far away, college season is a buzz in the air for the class of 2024 seniors. Seniors are being faced with choosing their path for the year ahead and the anticipation of college acceptance. A survey went out to the Seniors here at North Star about post graduation and the plans the class of 2024 are choosing to take once they are officially Gator alumni. 80% of surveyed students are expected to be heading to a post secondary institution in the fall of 2024. With around 85% of them choosing to stay close to home next year and stay in state. Our Gators top choices for in-state institutions being University of Nebraska -Lincoln, Southeast Community College, University of Nebraska- Omaha, and Wayne State college. The top choices for those taking the leap to an out of state college are University of South Dakota, University of Kansas, Maryville University, and University of Minnesota. Additionally, our ambitious students who are planning to head straight into the workforce plan to become business owners, landscapers, electricians, police force workers, and join the armed forces. 

I sat down and interviewed one of our star dual sport athletes and got the details on what her plans are next fall. Piper Ruhl has played softball and tennis all 4 years of high school and has recently announced her commitment to the University of South Dakota to continue her academic and athletic career. “I love the sport. It shaped me into who I am today. It has taught me about life and is something I can always go to.” Piper stated when asked why she wanted to play at the next level. I also asked Ruhl why she decided USD was the right place for her. She explained she knew South Dakota was the right fit when she visited, “ I got the feeling of home. The facilities, coaches, and players were all so cool and welcoming to me.” She also added that it was the perfect distance from home. Finally I asked her what she was most excited about heading into her post secondary education and playing at the next level. “I’m most excited for the challenge it’s going to give me.” Ruhl declared. “I know the workload and commitments of playing at the next level are going to be a lot but it will be rewarding to get a good education and play the game I love.” 

Overall it’s easy to assume the class of 2024 seniors has a bright future ahead of them. Countless bright young minds will be heading to the next level in the fall to continue making their mark.

View Comments (1)