The Student News Site of Lincoln North Star High School

Gator Galaxy

Gator Galaxy

Gator Galaxy

British Invasion! In the North Star Music Department
Josh Goodrich, Sr. Photo Editor • May 3, 2024
Kickin’ it with the Gators
Kickin’ it with the Gators
Adrian Ho, Staff • May 3, 2024
Swamp Shop Revival
Swamp Shop Revival
Victoria Kissima, Staff • May 3, 2024

Gator Grad, Paige Steiner.

Paige Steiner and Marley Athens work together on a project.

The creator of the North Star Unified Club, PaigeSteiner, is a 2023 North Star graduate, who is now a paraeducator here at North Star. Steiner has helped pave the way for unified activities here at North Star. Her entire life she has been around people with special needs, and her goal was to create that safe inclusive environment here at North Star. She wanted to get the life skills students involved in an opportunity that wasn’t just a sport.

This is where the unified club idea started. She saw this idea at Millard North in Omaha, and many schools have followed since. Steiner decided it was a great Idea for North Star. Steiner started planning for the unified club at the beginning of her junior year (2021-2022), however, the club didn’t start until second semester.

Ms. McCoy was one of the biggest contributors to this idea, as well as Mrs. Morton, and Mrs. Stahl. They all saw a goal of making a club for special needs, where everyone was involved. Through lots of planning, and figuring out what would and wouldn’t work, North Star Unified Club was created. 

Unified club is a club for the life skills students and partners to bond, along with creating memories that will last them a lifetime. The Gator Galaxy spoke with current student Marley Athens, a 11th grade student at North Star.

When asked what her favorite part of Unified Club was, Atehns gave a short and sweet answer of, “Lemonde, snacks, and the dogs.” Her favorite activity was making puppy chow, and having all the different therapy dogs visit. 

As a member of Unified club myself, I am so glad that I had the opportunity to join this amazing club that offers inclusivity and amazing friendships. 

View Comments (1)