Need a Mint? Breathalyzer Rumors Run Rampant

By Gussie Beckman/Gator Galaxy Staff

Prom season is here. Dresses are bought, tuxes are rented, makeup and hair appointments are scheduled. North Star students had  a crazy, good time. However, maybe a few students might not have been as crazy as they planned . A rumor about a breathalyzer at prom circulated through the halls before prom.. A breathalyzer is a device used by police for measuring the amount of alcohol in a driver’s breath.

Every year, Student Council is in charge of putting on prom. Mr. Ahlberg, StuCo sponsor, said, “I have heard the rumor. I have no knowledge of it. Never had one before. I would be surprised if it did [happen].”

Other high schools in Lincoln haven’t been known for breathalyzing at their proms either. Assistant Principal Tom Focht said it was the first time he had heard of it. “If there is reasonable suspicion the school can use a breathalyzer,” said Focht. Principal Vann Price said, “Our Gators have always done what they need to do. I have no worry about our prom. Two to Three students shouldn’t ruin it for everyone.”

Students seem to think a breathalyzer is a good idea. “The breathalyzer is a no brainer. Students need to be aware they can’t just do what they want and expect to have a fun night,” said Hailey Fleming (11). Junior Reagan Duranski agreed, “I think it is a good idea. Having a breathalyzer would encourage more students to act appropriately while at prom.”

The chance of a breathalyzer at post prom is greater. Before prom, parents from the committee who stepped up to put on the event said the decision was still being made. With post prom being held at the new trampoline park, Defy Gravity, the safety of the students worries some parents if alcohol is in their system.