The Student News Site of Lincoln North Star High School

Gator Galaxy

Gator Galaxy

Gator Galaxy

North Star FBLA Leaves Impact at State Business Conference
Ezekiel Menter, Photo Editor • April 29, 2024
Josh Goodrich Places in Yearbook Spread Layout
Mateen Younis, Staff • April 26, 2024
Enchanted Night for North Star
Enchanted Night for North Star
Braelyn Marshall, Assistant Editor-in-Chief • April 26, 2024

Marching Towards Tradition

Legacy and Achievement Behind Gator Walks

A longstanding tradition, and a monumental achievement. Gator walks have been a part of North Star culture since the opening of the school. Gator walks to state are when the North Star drumline marches through the school playing their well-memorized cadences, being led by the principal and the North Star cheerleaders. They are followed by all of the students who have qualified for state for the current sports season, sending them off to their state events. For state qualifiers, the gator walk is a moment of recognition for their hard work and dedication to the sport they spend too much time with and work endlessly on. It is a chance for the school to show its support and send them off with pride as they represent North Star at state events.

When asked what the Gator Walk meant to her, Rainy Nixon (10), 2024 Swim and Dive State Qualifier said, “Being in the Gator Walk was like an award that I get to show off, I just put in a lot of hard work for such a long time and now I get to go to state for it with some of my teammates and I get to be supported by my classmates and friends.” 

Not just for state qualifiers, gator walks are an outstanding achievement, and even a marking of new beginnings for incoming freshmen, and outgoing graduated seniors. The freshmen participate in a first day of school gator walk, and one final gator walk for the seniors, just days before graduation. The drums add to the environment of the walks. They make the hallways cheer with excitement and get everyone hyped up for the state team members. Drumline member Jacob Ferrin (12), says, “Gator Walks are such an important tradition that show our school spirit, support our teams, and even show off our talents.” 

Overall, Gator Walks are such an important longstanding tradition to North Star culture and foster a sense of pride and achievement within the school.