Law Day at North Star

Law Day at North Star

By Melissa Maas/Gator Galaxy

On Thursday, May 3, two civil litigation attorneys came to North Star to talk to students about the Miranda Rights, and their importance to celebrate Law Day.

Kelsey Helget and Corey Wasserburger shared their knowledge of the Miranda Rights, and why they became attorneys. The Miranda Rights were established in 1966 by the U.S. Supreme Court after Miranda v. Arizona. Ernesto Miranda was arrested from his home and taken into custody. Miranda was interrogated for many hours by police officers, which resulted in Miranda’s confession.

LawDay2016
Kelsey Helget, left, and Corey Wasserburger share their knowledge of Miranda Rights with North Star students during Law Day presentations in the Media Center. Photo by Melissa Maas/GG Staff

Miranda was found guilty of kidnap and rape and sentenced to 20-30 years in prison. The Miranda Rights is basically a right to silence, a formal warning given by police when someone is arrested. This warning protects a person from self incrimination, and the right to an attorney in court. Also a warning that anything a person says can be used against them in court. Miranda, at the time, didn’t know his rights, because he wasn’t told. The Supreme Court ruled that if a suspect is not informed of these rights, then it is a violation of the 5th Amendment.

“You have been properly mirandized when you are read these rights,” said Wasserburger after many different scenarios were presented to students of Brian Burbach’s Civics class and Jace Ahlberg’s Government and Politics class, on whether or not the Miranda Rights needed to be used.

Civil litigation attorneys handle many non-criminal cases, and help in situations on whether a case should be taken to court, or can be handled outside of the courtroom.Helget enjoyed numerous mock trials in high school, and worked in law firms doing everyday things an attorney would after high school. “Overtime, the knowledge I’ve gained, and schooling has put me where I’m at today,” Helget, Associate Attorney at KRBK Law said.“I’m just really argumentative,” said Wasserburger, graduate from UNL, class of 2011 and attorney at Johnson, Flodman, Guenzel & Widger law firm.