Art of the Vans

By Drew Sallinger

This year, North Star Art students participated in a unique contest. According to their website, the Vans Custom Culture Competition, “inspires high school students across the United States to embrace their creativity and draw attention to the importance of art as an integral part of our schools’ focus in the face of shrinking budgets.” Vans sent four pairs of shoes to North Star and 1,499 other high schools across the nation. Each pair was to represent one of four themes chosen by the company: Action Sports, Music, Art, and Local Flavor. Winners will be selected by an internal selection process and public vote.

These Vans were designed by four North Star art students, and were submitted to the Vans Custom Culture contest.  The North Star designs were selected as one of 50 finalists nationwide.  If chosen, the students could win up to $50,000 for the school, and a trip to New York City. Courtesy Photo
These Vans were designed by four North Star art students, and were submitted to the Vans Custom Culture contest. The North Star designs were selected as one of 50 finalists nationwide. If chosen, the students could win up to $50,000 for the school, and a trip to New York City. Courtesy Photo

North Star students working with art teacher Lynette Fast have entered the Vans Custom Culture contest and already submitted their designs. Senior Savannah Savick entered her shoe into the Music category. Senior Quang Dinh was entered into the Art category. Senior Davarius Foreman designed his shoes in line with the Action Sports category, and junior Katharen Hedges designed the Local Flavor shoe.

Vans is giving $50,000 to the first place winner for their school’s Art program and flying the top five finalists to New York to for a Vans party.

Voting is from April 22 to May 13. Mrs. Fast asks that students, friends, and family all vote for our North Star Gator entries. Simply visit http:// www.vans.com/customculture to see if North Star has been selected as one of the top 50 designs.