Cars fill the parking lot at North Star on Wednesday, Sept. 28. Photo by Olivia Kriz/GG Staff

North Star’s Traffic Heads and Taillights More Congested

By Olivia Kriz/GG Staff Writer

Everyone knows how packed and congested North Star is, so it’s no surprise that traffic would be horrible.

This year, North Star also has over 2,200 students enrolled, and with nearly half of those students eligible to drive, the parking lot is filled to the brim.

Many teachers and staff now have to park in the front, because of the additional new portable. Our new portable takes up a lot of room, so some of the staff’s parking was taken out, so now the first row in the parking lot in the front is reserved for the staff.

The overcrowding makes students and staff upset about the backed up traffic.

Every day it’s  a war to get out of the parking lot and head home, safe and sound. There are students yelling out their window,  parents waiting to take their kids home, not to mention the huge line of traffic at all the exits.

Along with the traffic mess happening, of course, there’s going to be a little road rage. Junior Dominic Hughes said, “The most annoying problem is when someone cuts me off in the parking lot.”

Along with road rage, there is also speeding. It happens through the parking lot.   Students are often anxious to get home after a long day of school. Speeding is not the safest thing in the world.

The staff also worry about students’ safety.  They also have concerns. Physical Ed and Health teacher Brian Lauck says, “My biggest concern is how fast some of the vehicle’s drive and their lack of concern for what direction they’re going because some people don’t follow the traffic signs or directions.”

There’s always something students wish they could change. Junior Alex Wesslund said, “We should have a steady flow of traffic going and the system should be way more organized.”

Junior Dominic Hughes agrees, “I think they should open more lanes in the parking lot. They should take the isles out where the trees are.”

Bottom line is everyone needs to respect the rules of the road. Take it slow and be patient and everyone will get to their destination in one piece.