The Student News Site of Lincoln North Star High School

Gator Galaxy

Gator Galaxy

Gator Galaxy

Its Been a Great Year to be a Gator
It's Been a Great Year to be a Gator
Adrian Ho, Staff • May 10, 2024
See You Later, Alligator
See You Later, Alligator
Victoria Kissima, Staff • May 10, 2024
British Invasion! In the North Star Music Department
Josh Goodrich, Sr. Photo Editor • May 3, 2024

The Spirit of Gator Nation

Mr. Jank shows his passion for North Star
Mr.+Jank+poses+outside+of+his+classroom+at+North+Star+High+School.+
Elli
Mr. Jank poses outside of his classroom at North Star High School.

Mr. Jank, a teacher at Lincoln North Star, has been here as a teacher for 11 years and a coach for 7 years. He is one of the assistant coaches for the boys tennis team and as of this year he is the head coach for girls tennis. Mr. Jank started playing tennis in middle school and played for Hastings High School when he was a student there. This led him to play for Concordia University while in college and then to be a coach at North Star.

Mr. Jank is always showing support for the different sports and activities at North Star. He promotes and congratulates students during his classes and encourages his students to do the same. He takes immense pride in being a part of the community at North Star, as well as the community of Lincoln. If you have had the pleasure of interacting with him, it is obvious that he cares about everyone he is surrounded by whether it is his students, his players, or other teachers at North Star. Mr. Jank really wants all activities from the football team to the band and theater programs to feel supported and valued. Part of the reason he is so adamant about being supportive and encouraging about activities and sports is because he is also a coach. 

When Mr. Jank was being interviewed he was asked what he was most looking forward to about being the new head coach for the girls tennis team. His response was that he is excited to help others in the way that he had been helped by his coaches, he wants to push his players to improve and be the best they can be. He also said that he sees the position of coaching more as a mission than a job, and finds a lot of value and enjoyment in lifting up and encouraging his players. “To me coaching is about building relationships with my players so I can help them be better, because at the end of the day it’s not about winning or losing, it’s about giving your best effort and being better than you were the last time. When someone can show me that, I think it is more valuable than a win.” 

The passion he has for being an educator and coach is palpable and radiates from him every day in class and on the tennis court. Mr. Jank takes time out of his day to build relationships with the people he is around; getting to know them and learning about their interests, really showing that he cares about more than the grades they receive in his class. His energy, dedication, and passion truly are infectious. This makes him an amazing role model, mentor, and inspiration for everyone.