Anxiety Becoming an Issue for Young Adults

By Taelor Evenson/Gator Galaxy Staff

Anxiety becomes a problem when children turn into young adults and start to have stress, family problems, or any kind of drama that may affect them.

As they go into high school, teenagers start to get a taste of reality and how school is going be for the rest of their schooling from learning hard lessons, to complex projects, and endless homework. On top of that, student athletes and students who have part-time jobs have even more stress and anxiety because they have less time to complete school work than other students. Add that to the fact that many students also take AP or weighted classes that are even more challenging, and students can begin to feel stressed and anxious almost instantly.

According to raisingchildren.net.au, some symptoms of anxiety can be:

*Feels constantly agitated, tense, restless or on edge or can’t stop or control worrying – seems unable to relax.

*Shows physical signs, like tense or sore muscles, a racing heart or sweating, headache or stomach aches, or nausea – these physical signs of anxiety can occur in response to something that triggers your child’s anxiety.

*Seems very sensitive to criticism or extremely self-conscious or uncomfortable in social situations.

* Always expects the worst to happen or seems to worry too much and out of proportion to problems or situations.

*Avoids difficult or new situations, or has difficulty facing new challenges.

*Is withdrawn, socially isolated or very shy.

*Procrastinates – for example, has trouble starting or completing schoolwork.

*Has sleeping problems, such as trouble falling or staying asleep.

*Has trouble concentrating or often seems forgetful or distracted.

*Feels that he must do a particular action, or something over and over (compulsive behavior).

*Has obsessive thoughts or images that he says he can’t get out of his head.

To help deal with stress and anxiety, set specific and realistic goals that can be approached one step at a time. Then, be patient. It is important for stressed out teenagers to know there is a  light at the end of the tunnel, and that someone is there with a flashlight, just in case.