The Student News Site of Lincoln North Star High School

Gator Galaxy

Gator Galaxy

Gator Galaxy

Josh Goodrich Places in Yearbook Spread Layout
Mateen Younis, Staff • April 26, 2024
Enchanted Night for North Star
Enchanted Night for North Star
Braelyn Marshall, Assistant Editor-in-Chief • April 26, 2024
LNS National Honor Society Raises Money for Al Bock Scholarship
Angela Klipic, Jr. Editor-in-Chief • April 19, 2024

LNS Cheer Competes at State

The cheerleaders started learning their competition routine in early November. They competed in the Class A Game Day Division. The routine was three minutes and consisted of a band chant, chant, cheer, and North Star school song. 

The first part of their routine was the band chat which consists of a dance where the cheerleaders have pom poms, signs, and megaphones. The chant is a shorter cheer that is either offense or defense; students usually see this performance on the sidelines during game day. At state cheer, the team performed the offense version of this chant. In the cheer, the cheerleaders spelled out “North Star” with signs for each letter. Along with that, they had different props and showed off new stunting skills.The last part of their performance was the school songs where the ladies show off this routine during every game they cheer at. “My personal favorite part of the whole routine is the school song; this is because it’s more upbeat and overall fun to perform. Also during the school song I did a tuck, and this was my first time performing this skill in front of a large group of people,” said Sky Denhardt (9). 

On February 15, 2024, the cheerleaders showed up to the Nebraska State Competition energized and ready to cheer on their teammates and all the other teams, in hopes of winning the sportsmanship award. Sophomore Cassandra Bui said, “My favorite thing about this team is that everyone gets along and we’re always so hyped.” This was Bui’s first year on the competition team, she started off as an alternate and was placed on the mat before the state competition. 

All of their hard work paid off when the team placed sixth out of fourteen in their division at the Nebraska State Competition. They also received an academic excellence award for their high GPAs. “Being able to work as a team, everyone doing their part helped lead us to the best place we could get. I’m proud of how we did and I will cherish that moment of this season”, said senior Taja Owens. These ladies have worked so hard this competition season, showing much improvement from last year. The cheerleaders are continuing to stay hyped as they take on their final competition, the Heartland Competition Sunday, February  25.