Suicide Prevention Month at North Star
Categories:

Suicide Prevention Month at North Star

A Feature on North Star’s Hope Squad

As August ends September comes about, representing Suicide Prevention month. This is an incredibly important topic that should be talked about not just during the month of September, but also year round. We continue to see people lose their life to life to suicide, so it’s important to education others that it’s okay to reach out for help as well as encouraging those to reach out to helpful resources. Suicide is a hard topic to talk about, but it’s important to shine a light on it so others aren’t shy to speak up. Don’t be afraid to ask family and loved ones how they’re doing, checking in, and letting them know that they aren’t alone. We encourage you to focus on that as we approach one of the most important months of the year.

Throughout LPS there are groups at every school called the Hope Squad. They’re a group of students, who were voted by students, who are here to bring awareness to mental health and help people in need. For this month they went to each health class on Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday (September 15-17) to introduce themselves. On Tuesday September 16th, Hope Squad also set up a table in the bayou with a variety of stickers and fidgets to promote mental health awareness. The table they set up went across both the first and second lunch and students had the opportunity to write anonymous positive messages to friends that are going to be sent out next week. Many students went up to take the freebies as well as talk to the Hope Squad students and advisors. The next Hope Squad event is going to be the members handing out positive items at the homecoming football game.

Carol Lin, a North Star Senior is one of the Hope Squad members who helps with idea inputs with the rest of the members. She thinks it’s important to realized suicide awareness should “happen every day and not just in a single month.” Lin also enjoys being in Hope Squad because it connected her with a lot of other students and she’s “proud that [she] can be trusted enough to bring awareness to such an important topic.” 

Suicide awareness is a scary topic but an important one at that. If you need any support or resources, please reach out to our school counselor or social worker, as they are here to help you as well. Continuum Employee Assistance is also available to provide confidential support to you at no cost. Their number is 402-476-0186.