Saying Goodbye to Our Seniors

Senior nights tend to be emotional and full of tears and memories, but the 2013 senior night for winter sports proved to be something more special than most

By Brianna Schoonover

All alumni athletes know that bittersweet feeling of playing their last game in high school. A big crowd showed up to let our varsity senior Gators know they are supported by parents and students alike; with a theme of purple and lime green for Hodgkins Lymphoma awareness for senior Mikaelah Molifua who was diagnosed with the disease in late January.

The endless practice, and cheering fans came to an end for the 2013 seniors last Saturday, Feb. 9. Basketball season is coming to a close, which means the Dazzlers and cheerleaders also showed their last hurrah to support their Gators.

Each varsity boys basketball player sported their very own “Team Mikaelah” shirt and their parents were recognized with their parents before the game on Saturday. The players showed up Kearney in their last home game with a win of 66-64 which puts their season above .500. The women’s basketball team had their Senior night on Tuesday, Feb. 12 with two seniors being recognized this year, Shatice Archie and Renee Lloyd.

All year the cheerleaders have been supporting our Gators by pumping up the student section when our players need it most.Some of our seniors have been there from the beginning of their freshman year supporting our sports teams from football until the end of basketball season. Senior cheerleader Denisse Carcamo said, “It’s sad knowing it’s our last home game, it all went by so fast and it hasn’t exactly hit me yet.”

Our senior North Star Dazzlers were also announced during half-time. Throughout the years Dazzlers have been performing for the crowds of Gator students and parents during half-time. Endless early morning practices are what makes the Dazzlers great, and with that comes a lot of dedication. Lexye Bruggeman said she’s sad it’s almost over, but glad for all the friendships she has made along the way.

Sophomore Jeralyn Poe was awarded as the Gatorade Athlete of the Year Award at half-time, along with senior Jaelynn Greiss being awarded for the Star City Youth Athelete of the Year award. This year’s senior night was a realization to many that their lives are just beginning. It is very surreal knowing that your usual everyday routine that you have been doing for the past four years is about to stop any day now.

Although ending your high school sports career may be sad, one thing all seniors can agree on is that now it’s time for a new chapter of their lives.