Club Offerings as Diverse as School

Club Offerings as Diverse as School

By Matthew Bundy/GG Staff Writer

North Star is home to a lot of variety. There are over 2,200 students, multiple class opportunities such as Math, and Art, and after school, there are a vast diversity of clubs.

“We have a total of 39 different clubs as of right now,” CLC Director Brian Deighton said. “The purpose of these clubs is to give students opportunities to feel connected to their school outside of the classroom. We know that in doing so, students are more likely to graduate and graduate with better grades. There are clubs in a variety of areas: some academic, some athletic, and some interest or career based, but all the clubs provide a great opportunity for a student to connect with a positive role model either from the building or the community and their peers. ”

With all the options North Star provides, students should be able to find at least one club they would enjoy participating in. Whether you are athletic or more of a sit-down-and-talk type of person, you are bound to find a club that suits you.

The clubs at North Star give students who might not be able to get a ride right away, a fun way to spend their time after school doing something they enjoy. Clubs may be just a fun little after school activity but for some students it is a way to pass some time for their ride.

“It’s a great encouragement to me to know that we are benefiting students who aren’t able to get a ride right after school and have the opportunity to provide them with high quality afterschool programming to further their education,” Deighton said.

Each club has their own certain time spans, giving students enough time to plan a ride later. Clubs include Yoga, Archery, Film, Math, Pottery, Engineering and more.

The list of clubs expand as time passes, so if students somehow don’t find something that interests them, they can talk about starting their own clubs. “It is possible [to begin new clubs] and we love it when it happens. Students need to have an idea for a club that would draw the interest of their peers and will follow school policies and they need to have an adult to sponsor the club. We have had students start numerous clubs during my time at North Star, ” Deighton said.

For more information on where you could find the club that suits you, visit the board around the corner of the health office.