Legislature Spotlights Education

Legislature Spotlights Education

By Kamryn Sannicks/ Gator Galaxy Staff

In this short marathon legislative session, several bills have been introduced. There are two key bills that could affect college students and the affordability of achieving a higher education degree.

LB726, introduced by Sen. Kate Sullivan, requires that Nebraska education institutions provide students receiving federal student loans with an estimate of how long it will take them  to pay off their debt.

This estimate should include the estimated payoff amount, including principal and interest, or a range within which the total payoff amount may fall,  monthly repayment amounts, including principal and interest,, the  number of years used in determining the potential total payoff amount, and information on how the student can access online repayment calculators. This bill functions as a way to allow students to know how much and how long it will take to pay off the loans that they are borrowing.

LB685, introduced by Sen. Kate Bolz,  creates the Student Loan Repayment Tax Credit Act. This act gives employers  the ability to help pay off an employee’s student loan debt while receiving a tax credit from the state.

In a time when a post-secondary degree is needed in most job fields and tuition costs are high, these bills make it more feasible for students to attend college.

If you are interested in the status of these bills you can visit the Unicameral’s website at http://nebraskalegislature.gov/bills/ and search for the bill number. You can also contact your state senator and tell them to support or oppose this legislation.