Photo source: Google Images
Photo source: Google Images
Jason Sindall

Missouri President Steps Down

By Derek Mikus/Gator Galaxy Staff

On Monday Nov. 9, the Missouri University President Tim Wolfe resigned after racist incidents on campus. This issue arose after many African American students had been called racial slurs on the school’s campus and nothing had been done or addressed.

Payton Head, senior and president of Missouri Students Association has been called these slurs as he walked to class. He said, “I really just want to know why my simple existence is such a threat to society.” It doesn’t stop there. Members of the Legion of Black Collegians were called the N-word while rehearsing for the homecoming. What topped that off was three weeks later when a swastika was drawn using feces on one of the residence halls.

The school’s lack of response to the issues is what set the student body into action. A group called “Concerned Student 1950” tried to get a response from Wolfe and he initially wouldn’t listen to any of their concerns. One week later, he finally came up with a response saying “Racism does not exist at our university and it is unacceptable.”

Things got even more interesting when the African American members of the Missouri football team stepped in and said they wouldn’t play another down all season unless the President of the university stepped down. Not only did the football team protest over the issues at the school, but so did the students. One student in particular, Jonathan Butler, raised a lot of publicity regarding the issue after he went on a hunger strike until the President of the university resigned.

Butler was on his seventh day without eating before the president finally made he decision to step down. In an interview, Butler said, “My motivation in making this decision comes from love.”