Security at its Finest

Security at its Finest

By Chase Martin/ Gator Galaxy Staff

Traffic jams. We dread them when we are rushing to school or we’re late for practice. Just when we thought they couldn’t get worse, they invade right up to the front doors of North Star. The line for students to enter the building each morning is now sticking out way beyond our doors. With new scanners installed at the front doors, traffic jams are here to stay.

North Star is now the most populated school in Lincoln, with well over two thousand students, and security must be a priority. Although the scanners cause us to wait, they’re important to our safety. The scanners force everyone to check in, rather than teachers only taking attendance to see if a student is present, so the staff knows where a student may be, or if they did not come to school.

Senior Trevor Marreel said, “It is kind of a pain to get in with so many kids standing by the doors, and the line is backed up pretty far, but I completely get it. We gotta be safe.”

Along with scanners at the front door, more security guards have been assigned to North

Senior Sydney Brown scans her ID on her way in the building on Friday morning. Each student is required to scan in each time they enter or leave the building. Photo by Gator Galaxy Staff

Star. Campus Supervisor Eric Williams said, “We got tons of kids this year. We’ve been doing pretty good at making sure kids check in and wear their ID’s. Along with that, we’ve been making sure they stay on the right side of the hall.”

Making sure students are adhering to the right-of-way in the hall seems to be working. Junior Brendan Schultz said, “Last year, I was late so many times, now walking through is so much easier. These (security) guards are great.”

This year’s campus supervisors are Lanny Bolles, Dave Balkus, Matt Lickliter, Eric Williams, and new this year, Holli Erickson.