LB879 Guns in schools

By Alex Higgins/ Gator Galaxy Staff

Teachers carrying guns is becoming a more common sight in the United States due to an increase in school shootings. More than a third of states already allow concealed carry for adults on school grounds.

Nebraska teachers might soon have the option to carry weapons to protect students if Legislative Bill 879, proposed by Sen. Mark Christensen, passes the Nebraska Legislature. At North Star, the majority of students and teachers polled opposed the idea of teachers with weapons.

Fine arts teacher, theater director, and mother of a student in LPS Brenda Broeker said she wouldn’t feel comfortable carrying a weapon to school. “The day that I have to be scared enough of my students that I need to carry a weapon is the day that I need to stay home,” Broeker said.

North Star campus security supervisor Lanny Bolles said the issue of school shootings wouldn’t be solved with more violence. “Bringing weapon into the school doesn’t send the right message, it wouldn’t solve anything,“ Bolles said.

Of the 50 teachers polled, nearly half (24) said they would oppose LB879, while 10 teachers said they would support it and 16 declined to comment.

Students were more likely to support guns in school. Of the 50 students polled, 27 said they would support teachers carrying weapons, while 13 said they would not. Ten students declined to comment.

Sophomore Nathan Fenton supports the idea of teachers carrying weapons because, “If a crazy person or student were to come into the school with a gun or a knife, I would want a teacher to protect me and my friends.”

Sophomore Ashleigh Grow said she was worried that more guns in school would bring about an increase in violence. “What would happen if somebody stole the gun from the teacher?’’ Grow said.

Even if LB 879 were to pass the legislature it doesn’t necessarily mean that weapons will be carried at North Star. Individual schools would have to approve teachers to carry concealed weapons. If teachers choose to carry concealed weapons they would have to undergo additional 24 hours training, besides the required amount of time and training to get the original permit.

Some of the teachers polled said while they are uncomfortable carrying guns, they would feel more comfortable carrying less lethal means of disarming a student.

Senior Matthew Hansen said if teachers started carrying weapons, teachers aren’t the only ones that would need extra training. “If the bill was to pass then they would have to educate the students on the matter as much as the teachers, otherwise the whole purpose would be lost,” Hansen said.

The massacre at Sandy Hook Elementary School a year ago prompted many states to examine concealed carry policies for their schools. Currently 18 states have such policies including Iowa, Montana, Texas and Wyoming.