Sexting and its Implications

By Kenzye Merryman, Gator Galaxy Staff

People tense up or simply walk away when someone starts discussing the subject of “sexting.” Most do not understand the consequences of sending inappropriate pictures via text, because of that reason exactly; no one wants to talk about it.

The consequences are more serious than some may think. According to Officer Morrow North Star’s school resource officer, if you send a picture to someone you think you can trust and it ends up getting distributed to the public, it’s considered distribution of child pornography and is a felony as well as being put as a registered sex offender. Many other charges can occur as well.Use celebrities as an example.

Many different celebrities in several occasions have got in trouble with sexting and in more cases than one it has ruined their career.  Anthony Weiner for an example was a Senator but he completely lost it all when he got caught sending inappropriate pictures. He tried to run for mayor but again got caught.

A poll recently taken from all North Star students and staff out of 50, showed nearly even results for the question, “Have you ever sexted?” One student said, “If you are in a relationship, then people will see [sexting] as okay.” However, another student said, “It’s bad, but a lot of people have done it.”

Many people dislike sexting as a whole. The public usually sees it as “awkward” and “disgusting.”

Nobody wants to be the person to get someone else in trouble, but sexting is a crime, If you ever get put into the situation of someone sending you an unwanted inappropriate picture, you have a few options; one you have is you can call the the CASA administrators and leave an anonymous voicemail if it is after hours. You need to find a way to report anyone who sends you sext messages.

Another option you have is texting the person back right away and letting them know you do not want messages or pictures like that ever again. Let other people know you do not sext and do not want those type of messages because if you would need them they would be witnesses later. The thing you should never do is delete any of the messages or the pictures, if you would report it to an admin or the police they would need proof they could not just take your word for it. They also would need to know that you have never and will never participate in the inappropriate messages.